[Sanctions-Discuss] Playing with the intake mechanism

discuss-owner at lists.sanctions.net discuss-owner at lists.sanctions.net
Sat Mar 26 04:24:17 PDT 2022

Niels and I have been working through what intake should look like:

https://wiki.sanctions.net/index.php/Policy_Group/Table_of_2022_Sanctions_Against_Russia_and_Belarus

…and the unavoidable conclusion I come to is that this is going to be a database, not a table or list, and that long-term, we’re going to need to engage in some work with governments to get them to put their sanctions into a standardized, machine-readable format.  And to harmonize their unique identifiers between governments.  Otherwise it’s just going to turn into a giant data-cleaning project, which doesn’t serve anyone’s interests.

Niels suggests that we make headway in parallel with that effort by selecting a few particular entities out of the list, and trying running them through our process and seeing how it goes.  And by “seeing how it goes,” I mean “taking copious notes."

                               -Bill