[Sanctions-Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3

Muhammad Aslam Popal aslam.popal at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 12:40:07 PDT 2022

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 2:04 PM Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2022, at 8:44 PM, Muhammad Aslam Popal <aslam.popal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> My personal view is to start the experimental round with the government
> sanctioned entities as that way we could review the whole process plus it
> is already approved by the governments. It would not be an easy task for
> the OSINT group though it will help refine the process.
>

> For what it’s worth, there’s a significant degree of overlap between the
> EU and UK individual sanctions:
>

> The US list doesn’t seem to have individuals on it, though I presume we
> just haven’t found the right reference yet.

In regard to individuals, is there any  reference as to what needs to be
sanctioned on this platform - his /her assets on the net (domains, IPs etc
) , i am trying to understand as what will be the min / max criteria for
sanctions ?

> It does make sense to use a database rather than a spreadsheet as the list
> could potentially grow plus there might be other features of the database
> i.e analytics , reviews, versioning plus it seems that the list might grow
>  which might be difficult to achieve via spreadsheets.
>

> I think the most valuable thing about a database, short-term, is that it
> could be used to match up entities from different governments’ lists, so we
> could better find instances of consensus among governments.  I’m asking
> around to see if anyone with the right skillset wants to put some time into
> it.  In the mean-time, we’re going to need to work out a schema.  I think
> our best starting-point might be to look at the UK’s machine-readable
> format, and try to figure out what we need that’s not there.
>
> I would like to suggest that some kind of impact framework should be
> considered once the database is operational.
>

> Could you expand a bit on what you mean?

I was thinking more broadly in terms of sanctions, the sanctions
affect people both positive and negative which could be intended or
unintended as it is obvious in terms of enterprises / companies that
related to services to the general public whether the services that might
be for international or residents, as in this case Russia (general public
or residents that might be pro or against the current regime activities) so
thinking broadly is to have a framework that would catalogs the effects of
sanctions as whether to tighten or loosen the sanctions.

Again I may be off on this suggestion but just some mechanism of
transparency or accountability for the long term.

regards