[Sanctions-Discuss] Afghanistan

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Mar 29 02:51:42 PDT 2022

The US state department just published this complaint:

https://www.state.gov/media-access-and-fundamental-freedoms-in-afghanistan/

“It is with alarm and deep concern we learned of the Taliban’s decision to stifle the Afghan people’s access to independent, objective, international media sources.  Media outlets such as the Voice of America, the British Broadcasting Corporation, and Deutsche Welle have reported that their local broadcasting partners have been prevented from airing their programming in the country due to new, restrictive, and unpublished guidelines from the Taliban."

I don’t think most people would view the BBC as propaganda.  I’m guessing a few more, but a small minority, would view Deutsche Welle as propaganda.  But I think pretty much everyone agrees that Voice of America is propaganda.

So I think this makes for another interesting test case.  My Afghan connections are all on the outside at the moment.  (Hi, Aslam!)  Anybody have any connections there who could figure out whether this was, in fact, “unpublished,” or whether there’s a declared sanction that broadcasters are complying with?

                                -Bill