[Sanctions-Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3

Niels ten Oever mail at nielstenoever.net
Tue Mar 29 03:13:31 PDT 2022

Hi all,

On 28-03-2022 01:44, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>> On Mar 27, 2022, at 9:40 PM, Muhammad Aslam Popal <aslam.popal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In regard to individuals, is there any  reference as to what needs to be sanctioned on this platform - his /her assets on the net (domains, IPs etc ) , i am trying to understand as what will be the min / max criteria for sanctions ?
>
> Well, we have to work all that out.  I think we’ve established that the things that can be effected by Internet sanctions are:
>
>   - IPv4 addresses
>   - IPv6 addresses
>   - Autonomous system numbers
>   - Domain names
>
> These are probably easier to associate with organizations than with individuals, but we’ll have to work through the process to see whether that assumption holds true.
>
> As far as individuals to test, Yevgeny Prigozhin is on the EU list, the US list, the UK list, the Canadian list, the Australian list…  I haven’t checked others yet.  He is alleged to own or control both the Troll Farm and Wagner, which are also both on pretty much everybody’s sanction lists.
>
> He’s also currently suing Bellingcat in UK courts, though his counsel just petitioned to be allowed to dump him.
>
> I think this brings up another work-item: figuring out what legal shields can be found for participants in this process. Since it’s a discussion about how to comply with governmental requirements, I’m assuming that it’s going to be reasonably possible, but, on the other hand, courts are unpredictable.

I think it would help if we crawl RIR and WHOIS databases for individuals and well as organizations.

However, I am not sure whereas Sputnik and RT would be the best initial examples because some people could argue about freedom of the press, especially since these outlets have not called for violence or others acts of hate speech.

An example that might be a bit more straightforward would be Kronshtadt, this is a weapons weapons manufacturer that is also on the sanctions list. Because there is not much press about this, this might be a nice and unique case.

Best,

Niels

--
Niels ten Oever, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher - Media Studies Department - University of Amsterdam

W: https://nielstenoever.net
E: mail at nielstenoever.net
T: @nielstenoever
P/S/WA: +31629051853
PGP: 2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488 643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

Read my latest article on Internet infrastructure governance in Globalizations here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14747731.2021.1953221