[Sanctions-Research] Beacon

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sat Mar 19 02:00:29 PDT 2022

> On Mar 19, 2022, at 12:58 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> I propose the following:
> - 69.166.14.53
> - beacon.sanctions.net, which would resolve to:
>    - 69.166.14.54

This won’t work.  Undoubtedly some people will over-block the sanctioned /32 to a /24 by policy, and that will render all the other more-specific stuff unreachable.

So, on the IPv4 side, we need to use a fresh swamp C, put a sanctioned /32 beacon in the feed, but also BGP advertise the whole /24, with another target outside the sanctioned /32, so that they can be compared, and a control in an unrelated prefix (which should probably be the project web site itself).  Same thing on the IPv6 side, except we don’t need an independent allocation, just a /64 that can be independently advertised.

On the domain side, we need to distinguish between over-blocking up the hierarchy, DNSSEC issues, and lack of dual-stacking on the client and intervening transit networks…

So there, I think we need to beacon a matrix of signed/unsigned A/AAAA and a control.

Thoughts?  Further refinement?

                                -Bill